According to the report, the president toured the site of the wreckage with Joshua over the weekend and met with Lulu Mnguni, South Africa’s High Commissioner to Nigeria, offering his condolences to the South African people.
Earlier on Monday, 25 of the 26 injured South Africans arrived back in the country. One chose to remain with Joshua at the Church for reasons that were unclear.
Minister in the Presidency, Jeff Radebe said the death toll in the tragedy increased to 115 people, 84 of whom are South Africans.
The government had not received any communication from Joshua about the collapse. “All that we know is what we have heard from the media,” said Radebe.
The Church last week issued a statement in which it blamed the collapse on a low-flying aircraft that was seen circling the building shortly before the incident – viewed by Scoan as an attack on Joshua.
A preliminary investigation by Nigerian Emergency Management Agency however, found the collapse of the building may have been caused by weak foundations. It said the building had been overburdened with construction of extra floors.
By: Mara Ispas